friday feast: poetry friday is here (pat, pat, pat)!
Pat the Poet (a little like Pat the Bunny, only cuter).
Merry Greetings to all and welcome to Poetry Friday at alphabet soup!
The dashing alphabet-bearded bard pictured above is the one and only J. Patrick Lewis, recipient of the 2011 NCTE Award for Excellence in Poetry for Children. Isn't the resemblance striking? ☺
We're thrilled for Pat and heartily congratulate him! He has amazed us, time and again, with the sheer depth and breadth of his work -- we love a man who really knows how to play with those 26 letters!
We decided the best way to celebrate Pat's award is to let him bring the refreshments. After you've chewed on his tasty poem, please leave your name with the title of the poem you're sharing (or book you've reviewing) in parentheses with Mr. Linky, below. If the spirit moves you, go ahead and pat Pat on the back for winning this prestigious and uber-cool award!
WHAT EVERYBODY WANTS FOR CHRISTMAS
by J. Patrick Lewis
The Mouse wants a slice of Limburger cheese.
The Bird wants a box of Jujubes.
The Squirrel wants a honey-roasted nut.
The Fish want chocolate sprinkles, but
The Cat wants a dish of the old eggnog.
"Give me the mailman," growls the dog.
~ from Under the Kissletoe: Christmastime Poems (Boyds Mills Press, 2007).
Leave your links with Mister Linky, then enjoy the poetry buffet!
1. Charles Ghigna ("Snow Deer" , "Art Lesson").
2. Diane Mayr (Announcements)
3. Kurious Kitty (" Merry Christmas")
4. KK's Kwotes (quote from Aileen Fisher)
5. Sally Thomas@ Castle In the Sea
6. msmac (Candy Cane)
7. Amy LV (#255 - sing)
8. Kelly Fineman (Marilyn Singer interview -WBBT)
9. Julie Larios (Original Poem: Junco)
10. Mary Lee (William Stafford)
11. Mary Lee (sign up to host PF roundup?)
12. Andromeda Jazmon (Mary's Song by Luci Shaw)
13. Ruth (William Stafford and original poem)
14. Laura Salas (15 Words or Less poems-- join in!)
15. Toby Speed - The Writer's Armchair
16. Laura Salas (" The Swan" - Jack Prelutsky)
17. Dori Reads (original poem)
18. Tabatha (grandmother)
19. Heidi Mordhorst (J. Pat's "A Tomcat Is")
20. Andy for The Write Sisters
21. Laura Shovan (Chuang Tzu on Stillness)
22. Wild Rose Reader (An Original Fairy Tale Poem about Jack and the Beanstalk)
23. Jeannine Atkins (Ted Kooser)
24. Jules at 7-Imp (Rita Gray's ONE BIG RAIN)
25. Sara Lewis Holmes (" Hyper-" and math doodles)
26. Karen Edmisten (Robert Frost)
27. The Stenhouse Blog (December Substitute)
28. Debbie Diller (A nursery rhyme)
29. Blythe Woolston (Juvenilia and young writers)
30. david e (le mauvais plus)
31. Shelley (poems about our grandparents' generation)
32. Endless Books (Aileen Fisher's " December")
33. Blue Rose Girls (FAIRY FOR HIRE: An Original Fairy Tale Poem)
34. Liz in Ink (Gratitude and Sharon Olds)
35. Twinkling Along ("The Bee Man")
36. Rasco from RIF (Poverty)
37. Terry Doherty ('Twas the Night Before Christmas)
38. Tara (The Grammar Lesson)
Some of Pat's books published in 2010 (click on each cover for more info).
Thanks for joining us today! Hip hip hooray for Pat, Pat, Pat!!
*Jujubes by Glane23.
*Honey-roasted cashews by gsol/flickr.
*Chocolate sprinkles cupcakes by candywh0r3/flickr.
*Eggnog by MelissaLibby/flickr.
*Mailbox pug by ShutterBearPS/flickr.
*Boy, girl, gift illos by harryillustration/flickr.
Copyright © 2010 Jama Rattigan of jama rattigan's alphabet soup. All rights reserved.